Who has to take the training?
- People who have already completed Serving it Safe or It’s Good Business through the Manitoba Tourism Education Council (MTEC) will have a five-year grace period before they have to take Smart Choices. Your Serving it Safe or It’s Good Business card will expire January 1, 2022, and you will have to take Smart Choices if you are still working in the liquor industry.
- For retail licensees: Managers, security and staff in liquor retail establishments must complete responsible service training by January 1, 2018.
- For service licensees: As of January 2, 2017, all newly-hired staff, security or managers who do not already have Serving it Safe or It’s Good Business training must complete Smart Choices before starting work in a licensed service establishment.
You must be 18 to serve or sell liquor in Manitoba, therefore the program is offered only to people 18 years of age or older.
How long is Smart Choices valid?
- Smart Choices will be valid for five years. Your Smart Choice ID Card will have an expiry date printed on it and dated for five years from the date that you successfully complete the program
How can I complete the program?
- Smart Choices can be completed either online, or as a self study (take-home) test. MTEC will also offer in-class sessions at their training office, or you can book an in-house session for your staff.
I own a licensed establishment, Is it my responsibility to make sure my staff have this training?
- Yes, each licensee is responsible for making sure that all employees who serve or sell liquor, as well managers and security personnel have successfully completed an approved responsible service program. Some licensees protect themselves by keeping copies of everyone’s proof of certification (ID cards) in their employee files.